Best Practices for Using Secure Your Vote Virginia:
- Check your registration information before completing the form – click here to view your information.
- Make sure you are registered to vote at your current address. Your information must be accurate and up-to-date for your registrar to accept an absentee ballot request.
- Ensure the locality you vote in is correct on the absentee ballot request form; your locality is the city or county in which you reside. It may differ from your postal address (e.g., you may reside in Fairfax County but have a postal address in Alexandria). “Locality” is a drop down selection on the absentee request form.
- Ensure the absentee form is complete, accurate, and matches all information as it appears on your voter registration form. Incomplete applications will cause a delay in processing.
How the System Works:
- We take the information you submit and email it directly to your registrar.
- Your registrar reviews the request to ensure it complies with state law and either sends you a confirmation notification or reaches out to help clarify some of the information submitted.
- Once any issues are resolved, you can check your ballot request status by entering your information here.
NOTE: This process can take several days, it is not instantaneous.
- I submitted my application but haven’t received anything yet.
Please do not resubmit the form a second time. Check your inbox and then your spam folder for an email from “Secure Your Vote, Virginia.” If you did not receive an email: it’s okay. Your email address was likely misspelled during your submission. You can submit it to us on the Contact Page to confirm that your absentee request was received.
- My registrar says they haven’t received my application yet.
There is a delay in processing a request. Please give it five business days and check again. If they don’t have it, please contact us. We will reach out to the registrar to ensure they receive the request.
- I submitted the form, but the Citizen Portal does not show that I have requested my absentee ballot.
It typically takes your local registrar 3-5 business days to process your application and then an additional 3-5 business days to report it to the state. If you are still not seeing your request on the state portal after ten business days, contact us. We are actively monitoring these requests and will be aware if it’s not listed yet, and we can provide you an update on the process.
- I submitted incorrect information. Should I submit the form a second time?
No, please reach out to us to help you with the process of correcting your information with your local registrar.
- I will have a different mailing address after September 22nd. Where should my ballot be mailed?
Set your Ballot Mailing Address as the address you will be able to receive mail on September 22nd and thereafter. All ballots will be mailed starting the 22nd, so plan accordingly.
- I wish to cancel my absentee ballot request and vote in person – how do I do that?
If you want to cancel your absentee request and vote in person, please contact your local registrar, who can assist you. If you receive an Absentee Ballot after September 22nd and wish to vote in person, please bring your paper Absentee Ballot to your polling location on Election Day or to an early voting location no later than Saturday, Nov. 4.
- I have a disability and cannot fill out the form on the website – how can I vote absentee?
A paper application that can be mailed to your local registrar can be found here. For comprehensive information on how to vote with a disability, please click here or reach out to us, and we can try to assist you.
- I have requested a ballot but will be moving/deployed overseas; how did I ensure I vote absentee?
Information about requesting an absentee ballot for military and overseas voters can be found here. If you are not at the address listed on the form after September 22nd, please contact your local registrar, and they can assist you in updating your voter registration or updating your Absentee Ballot request.
- When is the last day I’m able to register to vote?
Deadline to register to vote, or update an existing registration: October 16, 2023 (Voters may register after this date, through Election Day, and vote using a provisional ballot)
- When is the last day I’m able to apply for a ballot by mail?
Deadline to apply for a ballot to be mailed is October 27, 2023. Your request must be received by your local voter registration office by 5:00pm.
- When is the last day of in person early voting?
Saturday, November 4, 2023
Do you still need help?